On May 10, 2021, the Ministry of culture, henceforth termed “Ministry”, announces a public selection procedure for the appointment of director of the Museo delle civiltà and Parco archeologico di Paestum e Velia
» Self-declaration certifying the truth and accuracy of all information provided (Italian version)
» Self-declaration certifying the absence of grounds for inadmissibility or incompatibility (Italian version)
» Criminal record self-declaration (Italian version)
» Guide to filling in the application (Italian and English versions)
Application to be filled on line
June 20, 2021 - 12.00 GMT
1. Which museums does the public selection procedure for the appointment of Museum Directors concern?
The public selection procedure will appoint the Directors of the following museums:
1 Museo delle Civiltà (Roma);
2 Parco archeologico di Paestum e Velia (Capaccio Paestum, Salerno).
2. Which cultural institutions and locations, and other buildings or complexes are assigned to museums enjoying special autonomy?
The museums that enjoy special autonomy are also assigned the following cultural institutions and locations, buildings or complexes, respectively:
Museo delle Civiltà
- Museo Nazionale d'arte orientale "Giuseppe Tucci" - Roma
- Museo Nazionale Preistorico e Etnografico "Luigi Pigorini" - Roma
- Museo Nazionale delle arti e tradizioni popolari - Roma
- Museo dell'Alto Medioevo - Roma
Parco archeologico di Paestum e Velia
- Area Archeologica di Paestum, ivi inclusi la cinta muraria e l'edificio "Ex stabilimento Cirio" - Capaccio (Salerno)
- Area Archeologica e Museo Narrante di Foce Sele - Capaccio (Salerno)
- Museo Archeologico Nazionale di Paestum - Capaccio (Salerno)
- Parco archeologico di Elia-Velia - Ascea (Salerno)
3. What are the main tasks assigned to the Museum Director?
The Director is responsible for the overall management of the institution, as well as for the implementation and development of its cultural and scientific purpose.In particular, the Director:
a) Plans, steers, coordinates and monitors all of the institution’s management activities, including the organisation of shows and exhibitions, as well as the analysis, enhancement, communication and promotion of the institution’s heritage;
b) Curates the institution’s cultural plan, ensuring that it is a vital, inclusive site capable of promoting the development of culture;
c) In compliance with article 42 para 2, letter.e of the Decree of the President of the Council of Ministers no.169 of 2 December 2019, without prejudice to the powers of the Director of the Regional Directorate for State Museum (“Direzione regionale Musei”), the Director sets the cost of entry tickets, having conferred with the Directorate-General of Museums and the Regional Directorate of Museums, and in compliance with the guidelines drafted by the Director-General of Museums;
d) Establishes the institution’s opening hours so as to ensure the broadest possible attendance, in compliance with the guidelines drafted by the Director General of Museums;
e) Ensures the highest possible standards in terms of management and communication, innovation in teaching and technology, to promote users’ active participation and to provide in the provision of concrete formative learning experiences;
f) Guarantees full collaboration with the Directorate-General of Museums, the Regional Secretary of the Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities and Tourism, the Director of the relevant Regional Directorate of Museums and the Superintendence offices;
g) Guarantees a close collaboration with the local community, including with research and all other initiatives, also to expand the institution’s collection with new acquisitions, to organise temporary exhibitions or to promote archiving, scholarship, restoration, communication and enhancement activities;
h) Authorises the loan of artworks in overseen collections for exhibitions and shows within the national territory and abroad, in accordance with Article 48, para. 1 of the Code, also in compliance with the cultural agreements that may be reached by the Directorate-General of Museums for the purpose of organising shows and exhibitions, having conferred with the competent Directorates-General and, for loans abroad, also with the Directorate-General of Museums; and, in any event, in compliance with article 13, para. 2, letter t), of the Decree of the President of the Council of Ministers no. 169 of 2 December 2019;
i) Authorises the study of and publications regarding the materials on show and/or stored in the institution;
l) Makes arrangements for the conferral of the institution’s activities and public services of enhancement, pursuant to Article 115 of the Code and the Decree of the President of the Council of Ministers no. 169 of 2 December 2019;
m) Assists the Director-General of Budget and the Director-General of Museums in encouraging donations by private persons in support of culture, also through specific agreements with institutions, cultural sites and local authorities; to this end, s/he promotes specific awareness and fundraising campaigns, also through crowd-funding;
n) Performs research activities, the results of which are made public, also through electronic media; makes proposals to the Directorate-General of Education and Research and Cultural Institutions concerning initiatives aimed at dissemination, education, training and research connected to the collections under their tutelage, and collaboration on the training activities that are coordinated and authorised by the Director-General of Education and Research and Cultural Institutions, including hosting the work-experience activities envisaged within the context of said training activities and programs;
o) Manages and controls the goods that he or she is entrusted with and undertakes their relative conservation interventions; he or she is also responsible for permitting the use of the cultural heritage that he or she is entrusted with, in accordance with articles 106 and 107 of the Code.
p) Acts as a commissioning body (“stazione appaltante”).
The director of Parco archeologico di Paestum e Velia also performs the functions of the Superintendent of Archeology, fine arts and landscape in the territory of their competence. With regard to these latter functions, the Archaeological Parks are subject to the direction, coordination and control of the Archeology, fine arts and landscape directorate.
4. Who are the members of the Assessment Board?
The Board is comprised of five members selected from among experts of the highest repute in the cultural heritage sector. The members are appointed by the Minister. Within 15 days of the date of the Ministerial Appointment Decree, the candidates may present petitions for the recusal of Board members, based on the grounds established in the Code of Civil Procedure. The decisions on petitions for recusal are taken by the Director-General of Museums.
5. How should the application be submitted?
The applications must be submitted online, using the apposite form available on the Ministry’s website (cultura.gov.it/selection), by 12 midnight GMT of 20 June 2021.
The application must include:
1) a scanned copy of a valid identification document, dated and signed;
2) a brief motivation letter (1000 words maximum) in Italian and in English. If an application is submitted for more than one of the museums subject of this selection, an order of preference may be indicated in the motivation letter;
3) a detailed curriculum vitae, dated and signed;
4) a statement certifying the truthfulness and accuracy of all information provided, pursuant to Presidential Decree no. 445 of 28 December 2000;
5) a statement certifying the absence of any grounds for inadmissibility or incompatibility, in accordance with Legislative Decree no. 39 of 8 April 2013 and subsequent modifications;
6) a statement of no criminal record and of not being the subject of any pending criminal proceedings (if a criminal record exists or if criminal proceedings are pending against the candidate, details of the sentence or the of pending criminal proceedings must be specified, as indicated in the documentary evidence held by the competent courts).
6. Who can apply to the selection procedure?
All interested individuals, both Italian and foreign, may apply.
Eligibility for participation in the selection procedure requires:
a) educational qualifications: an Italian laurea specialistica or magistrale, or a degree certified according to the education system in force before the issuance of the regulations contained in the Decree of the Ministry for Universities and Scientific and Technological Research no. 509 of 3 November 1999, or equivalent educational university qualifications attained abroad;
b) professional experience:
specific and proven professional qualifications on the protection and enhancement of cultural heritage, demonstrated by the existence of one or more of the following prerequisites:
- Holding a Managerial status within the Ministry;
- Having held management positions, for at least a five-year period, in public or private institutions, or public and private companies, in Italy or abroad;
- possessing a particular professional, cultural and scientific specialisation, that is evident from the candidate’s graduate or post-graduate career, from scientific publications and from concrete work experiences of at least five years, also within public administrations, in Italy or abroad;
- having proven research and academic experience in Universities in Italy or abroad.
7. How personal data will be processed?
1. The data collected with the application for participation in the international public selection will be processed and used, pursuant to Regulation (EU) 2016/679 and the legislative decree No. 196 of 30 June 2003, as modified by the legislative decree No. 101 of 10 August 2018, exclusively for the purposes related to the completion of the procedure itself and for the subsequent activities related to the possible appointment, in compliance with the aforementioned legislation.
2. The data provided by the candidates may be entered in special databases and may be processed and stored, in compliance with the obligations established by current legislation and for the time necessary connected to the management of the procedure, in computer / paper archives for the necessary fulfilments which are the responsibility of the Ministry and the Board, as well as to fulfil specific obligations imposed by laws, regulations and EU legislation. The Ministry can entrust the data processing to a specialized company, which takes care of the specific IT platform for the submission of applications for participation.
3. The provision of data is mandatory and the refusal to provide the same will make it impossible to proceed with the evaluation of the application for participation in the selection, as well as the consequent and inherent fulfilments.
4. The personal data in question will be processed, in compliance with the provisions of the law, with the use of security measures to guarantee the confidentiality of the interested party to whom the data refer.
5. The data controller is the Ministry, with registered office in Rome, Via del Collegio Romano, 27 – 00186, whose functions are delivered by the Director General of the Organization. Authorized to the treatment are the subjects in charge of the selection procedure identified by the Ministry within the same procedure. Personal data may be disclosed to other subjects, public and private, when law or regulation requires this.
6. Personal data may be disclosed in compliance with the resolutions of the Italian Data Protection Authority. The list of candidates selected for the interview will be disseminated through publication through the institutional website of the Administration.
7. The interested party may exercise, under the conditions and within the limits set out in EU Regulation 2016/679, the rights provided for in articles 15 and following of the same: access to their personal data, rectification or cancellation of data, limitation of treatment, data portability, opposition to treatment. The interested party may also exercise the right to lodge a complaint with the Italian Data Protection Authority. These rights can be enforced against the Ministry of Culture - Directorate-General for Organization at the following email address firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also contact the Ministry Data Protection Officer (DPO) at email@example.com .
8. What are the possible grounds for inadmissibility and incompatibility with management posts within public bodies?
Pursuant to Legislative Decree no. 39 of 8 April 2013 and subsequent modifications, the grounds for inadmissibility regarding management positions in public bodies are the following:
- being the subject of a criminal conviction, even if the sentence is not final, for crimes against public administrations;
- having performed assignments or held posts in privately managed institutions or institutions funded by the administration of the public institution that is responsible for this appointment, or having performed freelance professional activities, if these are governed, funded or paid in any way by the administration or institution responsible for this appointment;
grounds for incompatibility are:
- undertaking and continuing to perform assignments or positions in privately managed institutions that are governed or funded by the administration or the public institution responsible for the appointment;
- performing freelance professional activities, if these are governed, funded or paid in any way by the administration or by the institution responsible for this appointment;
- undertaking and maintaining positions held by members of the steering committees of national, regional and local administrations.
9. How will the Board assess the candidates?
The candidates admitted to the selection, following verification of the eligibility criteria indicated in the answer to Question 9 above, are examined and assessed by the Board on the basis of the criteria indicated in Article 19, comma 1, of Legislative Decree no. 165 of 30 May 2001 and subsequent modifications, and on the following additional criteria:
1. a) educational qualifications: an Italian laurea specialistica or magistrale, or a degree certified according to the education system in force before the issuance of the regulations contained in the Decree of the Ministry for Universities and Scientific and Technological Research no. 509 of 3 November 1999, or equivalent educational university qualifications attained abroad;
2. other academic qualifications (research doctorate, master and/or specialisation diplomas) attained in Italy or abroad and relating to the protection, management and enhancement of cultural heritage;
3. publications and/or scientific awards on issues relating to the protection, management and enhancement of cultural heritage;
b) professional experience, acquired in Italy and/or abroad:
1. specific documented professional experience in matters concerning the protection, management and enhancement of cultural heritage;
2. specific documented professional experience in the operation and/or management of museums, including the conservation and enhancement of collections, activity planning, human resource, financial and capital management;
3. complexity of the activities and/or facilities managed and the results achieved;
4. specific competence relating to the collections and/or body of works of the museum or museums for which the candidate has submitted an application;
5. experience in the conception and implementation of communication projects;
6. experience in the conception and implementation of fundraising projects;
7. experience in the management of boards of directors and/or scientific advisory committees;
8. experience in the drafting and implementation of agreements with both public and private parties;
c) additional competences:
1. actual knowledge of and ability in the use of technologies, particularly those pertinent to the museum context;
2. ability to communicate with all stakeholders, both internal and external to the institution;
3. knowledge of the Italian language;
4. knowledge of other languages;
5. knowledge of the Italian cultural heritage, with particular emphasis on the collections held in the museum of museums for which the application was made;
6. knowledge of the organisation of the Ministry and the Italian administrative system.
The Board, during its first sitting, may identify further assessment criteria.
10. How will the criteria adopted by the Board be weighted?
The Board, during its first sitting, will establish and communicate the specific weighting assigned to each assessment criterion, it being understood that the greatest weight shall be given to the possession of proven professional qualifications in the protection and enhancement of cultural heritage as well as documented high level experience in the management of cultural institutions and sites.
11. Where can the documents and/or forms required to submit an application be found, as well as any updates on how the procedure should take place?
All documents are available from the Ministry’s website, at the following address: cultura.gov.it/selection
12. How can further information and/or clarifications be obtained?
Further information and/or clarifications may be requested by writing to the following e-mail address:
13. Which Office oversees the procedure?
The Office responsible for the procedure is the Directorate General for Organisation; the person in charge of the procedure is Dr. Marisa CALVINO (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
14. When will the selection procedure be completed?
The procedure shall be completed by November 30, 2021
If necessary and owing to specific and reasoned requirements connected to its operation, the Board may request an extension of this period.